Randwick Primary School is totally inclusive and welcomes all children. Where a child has a recognised special need or disability, we will make reasonable adjustments to meet those needs, to ensure your child thrives in our mainstream setting. Our school is fully accessible and whilst supporting our children we will also encourage independence skills.


What is SEND?
SEND or Special Educational Needs and Disability is when children have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age or have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools. Children with SEND may need extra help or support, or special provision made for them to allow them to have the same opportunities as others of the same age. If a child has SEND their needs will fall into one or more of the following four areas:
• Cognition and Learning
• Communication and Interaction
• Social, Emotional and Mental Health
• Physical and Sensory


What Does SEND Support Look Like Here?
Additional SEND support may include small group or 1:1 teaching, additional or different resources or strategies used to support their learning, or advice and support from outside agencies.

These may be:
• School Nurse
• Advisory Teaching Service
• Speech and Language therapist
• Occupational Therapist
• Educational Psychologist
• Consultant Paediatrician
• Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)


Identification, Assessment and Support
Assessments by your child’s class teacher will quickly identify if your child is having difficulty in an area of learning. Each child’s progress is closely tracked. Lessons will be adapted by the teacher to meet your child’s needs. All our staff receive on-going training to support children with additional needs. Where necessary, our SENDCo will discuss with the class teacher an appropriate additional targeted intervention of support to help your child make better progress. This could be in the form of: extra small group work; 1:1 support; and may involve using specialist published materials or equipment.

At this point your child will be given an individual plan (My Plan). This will ensure your child is monitored closely and receives appropriate on-going additional support.

When a child needs additional provision that we are unable to provide through the school’s resources, we may consider putting your child forward to work with outside agencies. This could involve working with Educational Psychologist services or Advisory Teaching Teams as well as other outside agencies. At this point your child will move onto ‘My Plan +’.

A small minority of children will have complex SEN, needing significantly higher levels of support. If this happens our SENDCo in consultation with parents and other professionals may ask the Local Authority to undertake a full assessment of the child’s needs. If the Local Authority are in agreement, they will draw up an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) for the child. The EHCP will ensure additional support for your child and will be reviewed annually.

School will support you through this process but if you need any further advice, the Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service (see contact list) is a confidential and impartial service who can also help.


Contact List


Useful Links:

General Information Sites

Glosfamilies information
Dfee Special Education Needs Guide:

Family Education Website:
ADHD Foundation:

The Dyspraxia Foundation:

Autism & Aspergers
National Autistic Society:
Autism Independent UK:
Aspergers Support:

Down Syndrome
The Down Syndrome Association:


British Dyslexia Association:

The British Epilepsy Association:

Visual Impairment
Royal Institute for the Blind:

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder


Related Policies:

SEND policy Jan 2024
Accessibility Plan Oct 2023
Equality Policy



Files to Download

Student Login